In this article:
The ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page provides various tools that help troubleshoot network connectivity issues that may be impacting the performance of your Barracuda Web Filter.
- Test the connection between the Barracuda Web Filter to Barracuda Central to make sure it can successfully download the latest virus and spyware definitions.
- Ping or telnet to devices from the Barracuda system
- Perform a traceroute from the Barracuda system to a destination server
- Run a packet capture
- Test what action the Barracuda Web Filter would take with particular URLs, domains, MIME types, etc. based on block/accept polices and exceptions you create. See Policy Rule Checking.
Connect to Barracuda Support Servers
In the Support Diagnostics section of the ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page, you can initiate a connection between your Barracuda Spam Firewall and the Barracuda Networks Technical Support Center which will allow technical support engineers to troubleshoot any issues you may be experiencing.
Rebooting the System in Recovery Mode
If your Barracuda Web Filter experiences a serious issue that impacts its core functionality, you can use diagnostic and recovery tools that are available at the reboot menu to return your system to an operational state.
Before you use the diagnostic and recovery tools, do the following:
- Use the built-in troubleshooting tools on the ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page to help diagnose the problem.
- Perform a system restore from the last known good backup file.
- Contact Barracuda Networks Technical Support for additional troubleshooting tips.
As a last resort, you can reboot your Barracuda Web Filter and run a memory test or perform a complete system recovery, as described in this section.
To perform a system recovery or hardware test:
- Connect a monitor and keyboard directly to your Barracuda Web Filter.
- Reboot the system by doing one of the following:
- In the web interface: Go to the BASIC > Administration page, navigate to the System Reload/Shutdown section, and click Restart.
- At the front panel of the Barracuda Web Filter: Press the Power button on the front panel to turn off the system, and then press the Power button again to turn the system on.
The splash screen displays with the following three boot options:
- Use your keyboard to select the desired boot option, and press the Enter key.
You must select the boot option within three seconds after the splash screen appears. If you do not select an option within three seconds, the Barracuda Web Filter starts up in Normal mode (first option).
For a description of each boot option, refer to Reboot Options below.
The table below describes the options available at the reboot menu.
|Barracuda||Starts the Barracuda Web Filter in the normal (default) mode. This option is automatically selected if no other option is specified within the first three seconds of the splash screen appearing.|
Displays the Recovery Console, where you can select the following options:
- Perform file system repair—Repairs the file system on XFS-based Barracuda Web Filter. Select this option only if the serial number on your Barracuda Web Filter is below 24364; otherwise select the Perform Full System Re-image option.
- Perform full system re-image—Restores the factory settings on your Barracuda Web Filter and clears out the configuration information. Select this option if the serial number on your Barracuda Web Filter is 24364 or above.
- Enable remote administration—Turns on reverse tunnel that allows Barracuda Networks Technical Support to access the system. Another method for enabling remote administration is to click Establish Connection to Barracuda Support Center on the ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page.
- Run diagnostic memory test—Runs a diagnostic memory test from the operating system. If problems are reported when running this option, we recommend running the Hardware_Test option next.
Performs a thorough memory test that shows most memory related errors within a two-hour time period. The memory test is performed outside of the operating system and can take a long time to complete.
Reboot your Barracuda Web Filter to stop the hardware test.
Replacing a failed system
Before you replace your Barracuda Web Filter, use the tools provided on the ADVANCED > Troubleshooting page to try to resolve the problem.
Barracuda Instant Replacement Service
In the event that a Barracuda Web Filter system fails and you cannot resolve the issue, customers that have purchased the Instant Replacement service can call t and receive a new unit within 24 hours.
After receiving the new system, ship the failed Barracuda Web Filter back to Barracuda Networks at the address below with an RMA number marked clearly on the package. Barracuda Networks can provide details on the best way to return the unit.
3175 S. Winchester Blvd
Campbell, CA 95008
attn: RMA # <your RMA number>